Friday, December 22, 2006

Is Heaven Easy?


Kind of an odd question right? How could the happiest, most fulfilling place we could ever imagine be hard or work? My answer to that would be "nothing good comes easy".

It's like we have this concept of heaven that will have us around everyone we ever cared about and enjoying the blue sky and sun while we sit and catch up with all of our friends in between the most heart felt worship sessions we could ever dream of. Where did we get this? I think there are some serious questions I would like to ask about my idea of heaven. Will I have to work on my friendships or will they all be perfect? Will I still struggle with giving money to those in need? Does some sort of currency even exist there? (I sure hope not!)

I'm not trying to be cynical, Lord knows there is plenty of that to go around, I'm just exploring this feeling that I have that says, "just hang in a little longer. Then everything will be fine". It doesn't make sense to me that I won't have struggles in heaven. Can we even interact with one another without conflict? It's not like heaven is an environment incapable of conflict. Remember Lucifer? Can't imagine that was a nice chat over a spot of tea. The reason I'm wondering all of this stuff is...I think that I really rely on the fact that things will get easier later. And I am just realizing, no one ever said that.

At work, I can get through a day where it is pissing down on me for 8 hours of my least favorite task, simply leaning on the thought of a hot shower at the end. I think that we probably have the same mechanism guiding our concept of heaven. That little voice saying, "just a little further, it will be worth it". That may be very true but i always took it to mean, "just a little further and then you'll never have to do this again". But I imagine I will still struggle with stuff. Will having God so near, so tangible be enough to quell any doubts about his feelings for you, or your worth, or your relationship with Him? I'm just kind of rambling here, but I'll leave you with this final question: Will being in a perfect place make us perfect...or will we be the same shattered, messed up creatures that we are down here? What do you think?

No comments: